Residential Short Term Rental

Upcoming Public Workshop!

Residential Short-Term Rental Program Review

December 12, 2023 from 5pm to 7pm

Turtle Rock Park Community Center

17300 State Route 89

Markleeville, CA 96120


Virtual option is also available on Zoom:


Meeting ID: 825 1769 1380

Passcode: 762767

By phone: 1-719-359-4580, or 1-720-707-2699


Alpine County Community Development welcomes the public to join our workshop where staff members will present an overview of the County’s Residential Short-Term Rental program. The workshop will provide members of the public with an opportunity to address concerns and offer suggestions to improve current standards. 


Topics will include: 

  • Data and statistics on the number and location of current STRs 
  • A discussion of the application process, including the Business License and Transient Occupancy Tax requirements 
  • California state restrictions on the use of Accessory Dwelling Units as short-term rentals
  • Violation and Enforcement procedures


Alpine County adopted revised regulations for short-term rental (STR) uses on May 18, 2021.  The new regulations became effective on July 1, 2021.

Application Requirements

All property owners who would like to rent their homes (or a portion of their homes) for less than 30 days will need to obtain a short-term rental license unless exempt from the regulations outlined in the Ordinance.  

The regulations apply to all properties within Alpine County but establish different standards depending on the location of the parcel.  To be completely permitted for a short-term rental license, applicant will need to have submitted the following forms and documents:

  1. Short-Term Rental License Registration Form*, must  be signed by owner of property Once application has been submitted through online portal you will be sent this required form.  If this is not sent back, we will not be able to issue the license.
  2. Short-Term Rental Standards Compliance Agreement [pdf]
  3. Alpine County Business License 
  4. Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Registration
    1. If your property management company manages this, please indicate management company on forms.
  5. Fictitious Name Registration (if applicable)
  6. Property Owner Authorization (if applicable)


Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

What are the regulations for properties on the East Slope of Alpine County (Markleeville, Woodfords, Mesa Vista)?

  1. No more than 35 short-term rental uses are allowed on the East Slope.
  2. New applications must meet the 100 foot buffer requirement.
  3. If a new application is approved, the property owner is required to notify property owners within 300 feet.

Which uses are exempt* from the requirement to register?

  • Rental of one bedroom in an owner occupied residence accommodating no more than three guest.
  • Rental of a residence for no more than 5 days per calendar year.

*Exempt from zoning requirements. Transient occupancy tax and business license apply.

How much does registration cost?

$100,  Cash or Check, per fiscal year made payable to Alpine County, Community Development- *if and after application is deemed eligible.

How long is the registration good for?

All licenses are issued for a period of one year. Licenses shall be issued for the period of time beginning on July 1st of each year and shall conclude on June 30th of the following year. Applications made during the year shall be issued for a prorated period to conclude on June 30th. (Ord. 740-21 § 1, 2021).

How do I know if my East Slope property is eligible for Short Term Rental use?

Please reach out to the Community Development Department to inquire about the current number of actively permitted Short Term Rentals, and if your property is eligible.

Do I need to notify my neighbors?

All East Slope Properties,  those outside of Kirkwood and Bear Valley, are subject to neighbor noticing requirements.

Is there a cap on the total number of Short Term Rentals units allowed in Kirkwood or Bear Valley?


Is there a buffer requirement for Short Term Rental units in Kirkwood or Bear Valley?


Can a property management company submit the registration on my behalf?

Yes, a property management company may submit and manage the registration as long as a signed Property Owner Authorization is provided by the applicant.  Please have the property management company provide proof of TOT registration.

Do I have to Display the Permit in my listing ?

 The residential short-term rental must post the license identification number issued by the county within all online listings or other advertisements of the property for rent. 


What are the standards for residential short term rental uses?

Limitation on Structures. A residential short-term rental may be conducted only within a legally established residential unit or portion thereof.

 Noise Limitations. No activity at any time shall produce sounds measured in excess of the standards as stated in Section 18.68.090(B) of this code. Outdoor amplified sound is prohibited.

Outdoor Fires. Outdoor fires are limited pursuant to Chapter 8.16 regarding outdoor burning and fire control.

1. East Slope properties which violate the standards of Chapter 8.16 for outdoor fire will be prohibited from all future outdoor burning with the exception of propane fuel barbeques and appliances.

Solid Waste. Solid waste storage and disposal shall not become a nuisance. The property owner shall not fail to adequately provide for appropriate refuse collection and/or storage. Solid waste violations include failure to secure waste from wildlife, leaving waste out for excessive time, and failure to secure waste from weather.

1. East Slope properties which violate the standard for solid waste shall be required to install a wildlife-proof solid waste receptacle or bear box.

Parking. No additional parking in excess of what is required for the residential use of the property shall be required.

Signs. One single, nonilluminated sign of not more than six square feet in area is permitted. In addition, each residential short-term rental shall have an address placard displayed on the building or land in such manner as to be clearly visible from the street or road on which the residential short-term rental is located. The address placard shall comply with the requirements of the California Fire Code.

Life Safety Measures. The following life safety measures are required to be in place within the area to be used for the residential short-term rental:

1. Operating smoke detector(s) and carbon monoxide detector(s) installed in accordance with state law;

2. At least one functioning fire extinguisher in an easily accessed location inside the space;

3. Written information available to the occupant in a conspicuous location inside the space containing twenty-four/seven emergency contact information for a representative of the property owner or rental agent, law enforcement, fire department, and ambulance services.

Confinement of Pets. Guests of residential short-term rentals shall confine pets per the requirements of Section 6.04.160.

 Outdoor Lighting. For all exterior lighting the light source shall be fully shielded from neighboring properties and directed downward. All light fixtures, including security lighting, shall be aimed and shielded so that the direct illumination shall be confined to the property boundaries of the source. Motion-sensing light fixtures shall be fully shielded from neighboring properties and properly adjusted to turn off when detected motion ceases.

Interior Notice Requirements. Each rental shall have a clearly visible and legible notice posted within the unit on or adjacent to the front door, containing the following information:

1. The name of the managing agency, agent, property manager, local contact, or owner of the unit, and a telephone number at which that party may be reached on a twenty-four-hour basis.

2. The number and location of on-site parking spaces and the parking rules for seasonal snow removal.

3. The trash pickup day and notification that trash and refuse shall not be left or stored on the exterior of the property except from six p.m. of the day prior to trash pickup to six p.m. on the day designated for trash pickup and that failure to utilize the provided garbage can enclosure, unless otherwise exempted, is a violation of this chapter.

4. Occupants and/or guests of the rental shall not create unreasonable noise or disturbances, engage in disorderly conduct, or violate provisions of this code or any state law pertaining to noise or disorderly conduct, and shall not produce noise such that neighboring properties are disturbed between the hours of nine p.m. and seven a.m.

5. Occupants may be cited and fined for violating any provisions of the Alpine County Code.

Public Nuisance. The residential short-term rental shall not be operated in a manner that creates a public nuisance.

Local Contact. The property owner shall designate a local contact. The local contact may be a professional property manager, realtor, property owner, or other designated person who is available twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week during all times that the property is rented, and has access and authority to assume management of the unit and take remedial measures. The local contact shall be required to abate a nuisance relating to noise, trash, or parking within one hour after being notified of the existence of a potential violation of this chapter. The local contact shall be located within one hour driving distance of the short-term rental.

Advertisement. The residential short-term rental shall post the license identification number issued by the county within all online listings or other advertisements of the property for rent. 

Resources for Short Term Rentals

Alpine County Ordinances

Other Resources