The Road Department is responsible for:
- Maintaining county roadways
- Overseeing and performing road improvements
- Providing snow removal
- Maintaining vehicles for county departments
High country roads are subject to closure at any time, without notice. Please be prepared for emergency conditions, carry chains and emergency supplies.
Current Road Conditions
Alpine County Road Conditions as of May 25, 2023.
This information is updated as changes occur.
County Roads Closed as of May 25, 2023:
- Wolf Creek - extended closure due to damages
- Sunset Lake/Tamarack
- Highland Lakes
- Silver Hill
- Schneider Cow Camp
- Loope Canyon
- Indian Creek/Poor Boy
County Roads Open as of May 25, 2023:
- Pleasant Valley (Open to top of subdivision)
- Airport Road
- Fishing Access in Hope Valley
- Blue Lakes Road- 2nd Gate (2 miles in)
There is currently no accessible camping and very minimal parking along Blue Lakes Road. Please continue to check back for updates.
Blue Lakes Road- May 26, 2023
Highway 89 (Monitor Pass) is now OPEN.
Highway 4 (Ebbetts Pass) remains closed for the winter season. Please continue to check for updates.
For California Road Conditions, call 800-427-7623 or 916-445-7623.
For Nevada Road Conditions, call 511 or 877-NV-ROADS.
For information on the seasonal closure of Forestdale Road to motorized vehicles contact Carson Ranger District at 775-882-2766.