Tobacco Education & Prevention
Alpine County's Tobacco Education and Prevention Program
Our program goals are to:
- Increase our awareness of the effects of smoking on personal and public health
- Improve communities' abilities to change smoking behavior
- Increase the influence of existing legal and economic factors that discourage smoking
- Strengthen social norms and values supporting non-smoking
Remember: keep quitting until you quit for good.
To report indoor smoking at a work site in California, call the Alpine County Health and Human Services Department.
Local Survey Results
Vaping products are not in Alpine County stores, lets keep it that way!
What children see on store's shelves matters. Lets market and model health to the next generation.
2019 Youth Tobacco Purchase Survey
Residents prefer tobacco-free events!
Kick it California
Kick it California, previously called the California Smokers' Helpline, is a telephone program that can help you quit tobacco. Helpline services are free, funded by the California Department of Public Health. The Helpline has been in operation since 1992. Every month, thousands of Californians call and receive help. When you call (or text if you prefer), a friendly staff person will offer a choice of services: self-help materials, a referral list of other programs, and one-on-one counseling over the phone or texting.
If you don't feel like calling, the Alpine County Health Department will call for you to sign up for free materials or counseling. Cessation options that may be covered by your insurance are available at the Health Department also. Call 530-721-2146 extension 242 or ask for Erica.
Kick it California is committed to serving California's diverse populations. Language services available:
Hours of Operation
If you call after hours or if the lines are busy, you will reach the Helpline's 24-hour voice mail service. Leave a message and someone will return your call.
- For those living outside of California, please call 800-QUIT-NOW and you will be connected with your local quitline.
- In addition, the National Cancer Institute offers a list of states with local "quitline" telephone numbers.